This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
Tis the season – for weddings! For some reason, choosing an outfit for a wedding is always super stressful for me. At first I wasn’t sure why, but I think the main reason is there are all these “rules” with wedding wear. Normally, I’m basically an advocate of just wear whatever you want and work the heck out of it, but that doesn’t really fly for weddings. You never want to be in a position where you feel like you’re drawing too much attention to yourself or underdressed.
I’m going to go ahead and pat myself on the back for this particular wedding outfit because I bought it WAY ahead of time – which literally never happens. I’m so bad about procrastinating, but not this time! I ordered this jumpsuit a few months ago, which tragically means that it’s not available anymore. And I’m so sad about it, you guys. But believe me when I say it was the absolute perfect thing to wear to a wedding so I wanted to give you guys some tips on what makes for the perfect wedding outfit. Also I’ve linked some great (budget friendly) wedding outfits below that you can nab for yourself!
My top 10 criteria for a wedding outfit:
- The fabric is breathable – If you’re like me, you’re going to shut down the dance floor. And when I say that, I mean I was one of three people still on the dance floor at the end of the night because HELLO when you play ten Beyonce songs in a row, I’m not leaving the dance floor. So yeah, you want something that you’re going to be cool in…bonus points if it disguises sweat.
- The length is appropriate – Weddings mean lots of standing/sitting/standing/sitting and we’ve all been in that situation where every time you get up, you graze the back of your thighs to make sure your dress is still covering everything. Yep. Weddings are one situation where I think knee length or longer is your best bet. It will keep you from having to worry about flashing anyone, plus Grandma won’t be giving you the side eye. AGAIN I usually advocate wearing whatever the mess you want, but this is someone’s wedding day and you don’t want to start any drama.
- Cleavage is kept to a minimum – This is never really an issue for me, but try to make sure cleavage is kept to a minimum. I know for some ladies this can be tough, but just keep it in mind when you’re choosing your outfits. Again, you don’t want to start drama or be a distraction.
- I would suggest avoiding white or ivory – This is definitely an old timey rule that some brides probably don’t care about, but I say better safe than sorry.
- Know the dress code – Usually you can tell how dressy a wedding is just based on the invitation, wedding website and location, but if you’re not sure just ask someone! You’re close to either the bride or groom, so just shoot them a quick text. But do this ahead of time! Don’t ask three days before – if you get to that point, you’re just going to have to roll the dice and hope you pick the right thing. When in doubt, wear a little black dress and pumps or a suit.
- Think about your undergarments – Do you hate wearing strapless bras? (I do.) Then don’t wear an outfit that requires a strapless bra. Hate having to be picky about your underwear (that’s what drives me insane) – don’t wear anything tight or clingy! Complicated dresses sometimes means having to buy special undergarments which can get pricey. Just keep it in the back of your mind.
- Jumpsuits rule all – I can now officially say that jumpsuits are the BEST thing to wear to a wedding. They’re comfortable, they cover everything, they’re easy to dance in and you’ll get a ton of compliments. People still think they can’t “pull off” jumpsuits so they’ll instantly be impressed by how cool you look. Little do they know, you’re also more comfortable than them.
So that’s it! Next time you’re looking for something to wear to a wedding, keep those 7 things in mind and you’ll be a-okay. You can shop some of my favorite wedding-friendly looks below! Nothing’s over $50 🙂