If I’m being 100% honest, one of my favorite things to do is watch tv. I know, I know, that’s awful….but it’s the truth. There’s just SO much awesome media out there right now and I love having something on in the background while I blog, sweep, fold laundry, make headbands, or cook dinner. Because there’s an embarrassing amount of shows on this list, I’ve broken it down into categories for you.
Warning: This post has almost no real value.
I’m really sorry it’s taken you people to realize the perfection that is Chris Pratt but I’m glad, as a country, we’re on the right track now. In case somehow you aren’t already a huge fan, let me help you out.
10. He’s in Jurassic World….duh. Is it June 12, 2015 yet?
9. He knows every word to the only Eminem song worth knowing
8. Ummm hello did you see The Lego Movie?
7. He doesn’t take himself too seriously
6. ANDY DWYER.
5. He’s married to none other than the adorable and hilarious Anna Faris (even before he was a super jacked bro as evidenced by this photo).
© 2011 GabboT, Flickr | CC-BY | via Wylio
4. He really loves his kid. I mean, REALLY.
3. Apparently he is a time traveler and/or knows the future.
2. He totally embraced being overweight (at least for a while)
1. He’s super ripped now…and I’m not complaining about that.
Don’t ever change, Chris Pratt. We love you just the way you are.
Since my husband and I moved into our own apartment in February 2013, we made a decision to not have cable. It just wasn’t worth the $60-$80 per month (in addition to internet) since we were on a VERY tight budget. Over a year later, we still don’t have cable and I wouldn’t change a thing. So how do we do it?
1. Fast internet – This was really a no-brainer for us. My husband does video game development and I have my own businesses (and blog) so having high speed internet was a top priority for us – even if we did have cable. We are able to stream videos on multiple computers and download things super fast. We pay less than $60 per month for the highest speed internet. Seems counter-intuitive if you’re trying to save money but I think it’s worth the extra $10-$15/month to have speedy internet, especially if you’re going to be streaming videos often.
2. Subscription services – My husband and I have chosen to go with Netflix ($7.99) and Hulu Plus ($8) but there are several other good ones out there too! Check them out, use the free trials and see which one best suits your needs. I love Netflix because it has most of my favorite tv shows I can watch reruns of, plus Netflix originals and my favorite AMC shows. And honestly, even if I had cable I would probably still pay for Netflix. Then of course we use Hulu Plus for our current favorites like Modern Family, Bob’s Burgers, Parks and Rec, The Mindy Project, etc.
I just really like Mark Wahlberg, OKAY?!?!?
Shows we watch regularly – RIP Michael J. Fox Show.
3. Don’t pay for what you aren’t using – Here’s a really important tip…don’t pay for Hulu Plus when new shows aren’t coming out!!! We make sure to put our account in vacation mode during the summer because we know none of our shows are on. You can do this for up to 12 weeks and it’s totally free. You won’t save a ton of money but you won’t be wasting it either and you’ll feel really smart 🙂 Also, if you get Netflix and don’t like it…cancel it! Don’t be lazy, save your money!
4. Ask friends for help! – This is a biggie for me. If there’s something I’m really dying to watch (like The Grammys Tribute to the Beatles they had a few months ago that I FINALLY watched last weekend…thanks dad!), I make sure someone DVRs it for me. Unless you’re constantly asking your friends, they will more than likely say yes. Offer to bring dinner so you can watch it together!
5. Get a Chromecast!!! – The best $35 you’ll ever spend. We bought one of these bad boys when they came with three free months of Netflix so it really only cost us $9 but I would happily pay $35 for one if I had to do it all over again. This little guy is AMAZING. You just plug it into your TV, do a quick setup (basically put in your wireless info) and it’s ready to go. Open up Google Chrome on your computer, laptop or phone (you DO have Google Chrome, right?), click the little button in the browser and it will “cast” whatever page is in that browser to your TV! It’s seriously amazing. So instead of watching TV on your computer you’re actually watching it on your television. You can get one here (or at Best Buy, Target or numerous other retailers).
I think that’s about it! If you have any questions, leave a comment! Do you have cable? Is it worth it? Let’s discuss!
My husband and I don’t have cable/tv so everything we watch is online and usually in marathon form. I’m almost always binge-watching at least one tv show (currently watching The Boondocks). Since I’m BASICALLY an expert, here are some of my personal favorites as of right now – they are all on Netflix except for one so get to watching! If you don’t have Netflix, I feel sad for you.
It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX/available on Netflix) – This show is such an underrated gem. I mean, I know a lot of people love it, but I think in twenty years people will still be talking about how it’s the perfect sitcom for the 2000s. If you’re not familiar, it’s basically four friends (five if you count Danny Devito) who are horrible, worthless, lazy people constantly getting each other and other people in trouble. It’s Seinfeld 20XX, except they’re even less self-aware. Sounds great, right? Also, four of the main people are married to each other, which is like my elementary school dream come true (Did you guys ALWAYS want people from your favorite tv shows or bands to marry each other? No, just me? Okay.)
Archer (FX/available on Netflix) – Brilliant. Gah, it’s so good. Warning: adult language, situations, etc. But oh my goodness, it will make you laugh so hard. International spy H. Jon Benjamin is the perfect dude-bro and the amazing Jessica Walter is his mother/boss. Their dysfunctional relationship is enough to carry the show on its own, but they’re surrounded by a group of incompetent humans running the absolute worst spy agency. Make sure to give it a few episodes, I hated the pilot the first time I watched it. ps two of the main characters are Arrested Development stars, and Mallory Archer IS Lucille Bluth.
Clarence (Cartoon Network) – I think I love this show so much because it reminds me a lot of Recess..just kids being kids in the best way possible. This IS a family friendly cartoon, so you can pretend to watch it because your kids like it, but really you’re the one who’s having more fun. Clarence is just innately good..not perfect, but good. He’s a sweet kid who loves life and honestly, we could all learn a thing or two from him.
House of Cards (Netflix original) – Kevin Spacey. Just do it.
Orange is the New Black (Netflix original) – What can I say about this show that hasn’t already been said? I will say it addresses race and systemic racism like no show I’ve ever seen before. The first few episodes had me worried that everyone was a walking stereotype but they really humanize all of the ladies in Litchfield. Forget Piper (the main chick), the brilliance of the show is in the ensemble cast. I just finished season two last night and it’s even better than the first. Language in video is NSFW.
Breaking Bad (AMC/all seasons on Netflix) – I know it’s been said a jillion times but I honestly think it’s the best television show of all time. If you haven’t watched it yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE?!
Now snuggle up on that couch and get to watching!