It’s winter so that means tv time is in FULL force for me. Lately I’ve been watching this show on TV Land called Younger – have you guys ever checked it out? It’s a little silly when I tell you the premise but if you’re anything like me you’ll get addicted. Basically a 40 year old divorcee is unhappy with her life and can’t get a job because she’s been out of the workforce for a while and everyone thinks she’s out of control. SO she gets a makeover (a la Clueless) and goes undercover as a 26 year old. Hijinx ensue, of course! (Side note: Sutton Foster plays the lead and she actually is 40 – I want to know who she sold her soul to for her skin to still look like that!) Even if it does it in a lighthearted way, the feminist in me LOVES that Younger sheds light on the reality of the pressures that society places on women – particularly with regards to how we look.
I’m not one of those people who wishes I was younger (at least not yet). I feel like I’m doing great in life and even though it’s hard for me to believe I’m in my late 20s now, I don’t yearn for high school or even college years! I hope that I always feel like I’m in my prime and even though I’m so happy for the past, I try to live my life to it’s fullest in the moment. That being said, there are definitely some things I wish I had known when I was younger. I’ve never written a “letter to my younger self,” but here are a few things I wish I had known back in the 90s.
Coat: Thrifted ($50; similar here) | Shirt: c/o TV Land | Leather Leggings: Charlotte Russe ($10; exact but I would get the high waisted version) | Shoes: Clothes Mentor ($20; similar here and here) | Ring: BaubleBar ($20; similar and only FIVE DOLLARS!) | Necklace: Rocksbox ($19/month, use code VALERYBFF1 for a free month!) | Photos by Stephanie Drenka
- Filling in your brows will make your makeup look WAY better.
- You don’t have to be stick thin to feel sexy. Love yourself and dress how you want.
- Eat healthy snacks
- High school doesn’t matter
- It’s fine that you’re pale. It just means you’ll have a baby face way longer than those golden goddesses.
- You’ll meet Hanson later in life. Twice. (Maybe more?)
- You’ll also start going to comic cons a lot and it’s freaking fun.
- Take care of your teeth. You have deep grooves and soft enamel so floss your dang teeth.
- On that same note, wear your retainers. You dealt with braces for two years, just wear the retainer (still learning this lesson).
- Mom and dad are right about almost everything.
- You don’t have to be best friends with everyone. Be kind but that doesn’t mean they’re all your best friends.
- Don’t pluck your eyebrows too much. You’ll regret it.
- You’ll be so thankful your parents made you pay for everything in high school.
- Justin Timberlake will still be cool in 2015. Also he is going to marry Jessica Biel – aka Mary Camden from 7th Heaven.
- It’s okay that you don’t always fit in.
- Slumber parties don’t really happen when you’re an adult so appreciate them now.
- Recess is a freaking awesome show, even when you’re an adult.
- Your views will change a lot and that’s okay.
- Cats are actually pretty dang cool.
- Love yourself. No matter where you are in life, just love your dang self. You deserve it.
Make sure to tune into Younger tonight! It’s on TV Land at 10/9c – even if you haven’t seen the first season you can definitely start watching now!
I received this t shirt and a copy of season one of Younger, but all opinions are my own.