Ahh the classic red lip. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been obsessed with a classic red lip. Going through puberty in the era of Laguna Beach and the quest to be as tan as possible, I looked to beauty icons of the past like Marilyn Monroe. Thus began my quest for the perfect red lip.
After years of searching, I FINALLY found the perfect shade. NYX Matte Perfect Red was aptly named and was my go-to lip color when I wanted a classic red. One day while chatting with Sevi about our respective lip colors, I found out that Sevi’s go-to shade of red is the same as mine! Sevi and I have very different skin tones so since then I’ve had a theory that NYX Matte Perfect Red will work on any skin tone and for this month’s Diversity Chic we totally put this shade to the test on four people with very different skin tones and undertones.
Spoiler alert: it passed with flying colors!
Diversity Chic is a collaboration of Dallas bloggers showcasing current fashion trends on a variety of skin tones, hair colors, body types and heights. Each month we will feature a new trend tailored to our personalities and style.
Our focus is to explore the world of fashion in its unique, diverse, and stylish manner – one trend at a time.
The quick and dirty about this particular lippie:
- it’s blue toned so it won’t make your teeth look orange
- it’s the perfect “medium red” – not too light, not too dark and perfect for any occasion
- it dries down matte so it doesn’t move around too much
- if you’re not into matte shades, you can always throw a gloss over it
I thought about making this post all about how to choose the perfect red lipstick but honestly…I’d just tell you to pick this one. Because seriously, how can you go wrong?! So instead I’m going to talk a bit more about application because it can be TOUGH with red.
Five Tips for Perfecting Your Red Pout
- Exfoliate first – This goes for any lipstick really – always make sure you exfoliate!
- Start with a liner – Red lipstick is NOT easy to apply so I recommend starting with a liner. Honestly any red liner will do, you just want something that will give you nice clean edges and give you a good base. I always put the liner all over my lips, it keeps your lipstick in place longer.
- Use a brush to apply – The tube works for a while, but once it starts to get round you definitely want to use a lip brush to apply. It will make it easier to control and give you cleaner lines.
- Clean up with concealer – Last but not least, keep that concealer handy. Use a clean brush to touch up any places you didn’t quite get right.
Oh hey, let’s talk about my outfit for a hot second. Does this dress look familiar? It’s the exact same one Stephanie wore for last month’s Diversity Chic! This dress is seriously bomb and can be dressed up or down for anything – Stephanie wore it poolside and this month I wore it for a night on the town with a bunch of fashion bloggers and fit in perfectly. It’s true what they say, the perfect LBD can get you to any function and this one totally fits the bill. Plus it’s VERY forgiving. One tip about sizing: since it’s oversized, buy the size that corresponds with your chest size. I typically buy mediums at Target and had to exchange this dress for an XS.
Lips: NYX Matte Perfect Red ($6; exact) | Dress: Target ($33; exact) | Shoes: Thrifted | Ring: Kendra Scott ($95; exact) | Earrings: Kendra Scott at the Vintage House | Bag: Lo & Sons ($300 but on sale right now!; exact)
Photos by Dlores Photography
So have I convinced you to grab this gorgeous red lipstick yet? Make sure to check out the posts from Stephanie, Denise and Sevi to see more photos of them in this gorgeous shade and to check out their ladies night outfits!