This was supposed to be an outfit post, but since everyone turned into a CRAZY person about the new Instagram algorithm, I decided to shift the focus a bit. If you want to just scroll through and look at the outfit photos, that’s okay too – there’s something here for everyone 🙂
You’ve seen them. The posts ALL over your Instagram feed about how to turn on post notifications (as if you don’t already know how to do that). It was a desperate cry from (mostly) bloggers to make sure there content is seen. And I get it, it’s a little scary. But guys – the new Instagram algorithm isn’t all bad…as a matter of fact, I kind of think it’s a good thing for all parties involved. Crazy, I KNOW!
Okay okay, so here are 10 ways to prepare for the new Instagram algorithm.
- Stop freaking the eff out. Guys, it’s fine. I mean, I know changes are scary and hard but also….we don’t own Instagram. Sucks but it’s their platform and they’re allowed to change it however they see fit. It’s going to be okay and like two weeks after it launches you’ll forget how the old version worked so just calm down.
- Keep posting regularly. Especially if you’re a blogger or brand (or you’re just someone who likes to get a lot of likes), just keep posting regular, high quality content. The more stuff you put out there (within reason), the more people will engage. Post stuff people will want to like and comment on!
- As an Instagram user, THE most important thing you can do to make the new Instagram algorithm work for you is to like AND comment on stuff you like. I’m not going to sit here and beg for you to like and comment on my stuff, if you do, awesome. But make your IG feed work for you by telling it what you like. Also, insider tip: those likes and comments really help your favorite brands/bloggers get discovered on IG and they are VERY much appreciated.
- Do not sign up for a million post notifications. Bloggers are probably going to come at me with pitchforks for saying this but seriously don’t do it. I have notifications on for about 5 people and even then I miss posts a LOT. Any more notifications than that would be incredibly stressful (not to mention battery draining!) Then you’ll just get annoyed and start ignoring the notifications altogether. If you have like 3-4 people you REALLY want to keep up with…great. Otherwise, I wouldn’t do it.
- Follow your faves on a few different platforms. I follow most people on Twitter and Instagram (and some on FB) and I still miss blog posts from them all the time. And that’s okay! GASP. But seriously, that’s why different social media platforms exist – and that’s why bloggers/brands post their stuff on multiple platforms at multiple times of day. Because we know you’re not going to see every single thing we post – and it’s cool, man. So go ahead and give that blogger a follow on Twitter – and if you’re REALLY feeling nice, give them a RT every once in a while! Good karma….or something like that.
- Don’t not update your phone. Maybe the dumbest suggestion I heard today for avoiding the algorithm change is to just not update Instagram anymore….do I need to talk about how crazy that is?
- Realize that you’re still going to see ALL your posts. Are you one of those people who just scrolls until they hit a familiar photo? You can still do that! (Surprisingly), the new Instagram algorithm isn’t going to hide any posts, the order is just going to look different. So when you wake up to do the “I can’t get out of bed yet” Instagram scroll, you’ll still see everything. It’s just going to show you the good stuff first so maybe you’ll be inclined to get out of bed a little sooner.
- Think of the perks. As a smaller blogger, I’ve come to realize that this change will probably help me. The people who actually like my content will see my stuff more and hopefully engage more which will hooooopefully help me get discovered a little more. And if not, oh well. Such is life and a shiny new social media platform will emerge if Instagram crashes and burns (but please don’t let that happen). As a consumer, you get to choose what shows up on your feed based on what you ACTUALLY like and that’s pretty dang cool.
Blazer: thredUP ($11; similar below) | Tank: Old Navy ($4; similar below) | Jeans: Old Navy (exact linked below) | Shoes: DSW (similar below) | Bag: TJ Maxx (similar below) | Necklace: BaubleBar (similar below) | Lips: ColourPop Lippie Stix in Wet ($6; exact) | Photos by Stephanie Drenka
Okay, are you feeling better yet? It’s gonna be okay, friends….we’ll get through this new Instagram algorithm together.