I received a Lipsense kit to try to facilitate this review. Per usual, all opinions are my own.
I’ll admit it: the first time I heard about Lipsense, I rolled my eyes. The claim of a lipstick that lasts 8 hours, the videos of people rubbing their lips, the photos of wine glasses with no residue…it just seemed like such a gimmick. But I’ll confess another thing….I was curious.
If you’re not familiar with Lipsense, it’s a long wearing liquid lipstick made by SeneGence. It’s a two step process with the lip color first (applied in 3 layers with a few seconds of dry time within each layer), then you follow up the color with a gloss. They have a matte finish too, but even the Glossy gloss doesn’t stay glossy for too long – they eventually have more of a satin finish. You can reapply the gloss throughout the day to give your lips some more moisturizer and kind of “refresh” your look.
When Shawndee reached out to me to try Lipsense for myself, I was excited and nervous! I was terrified that I was going to hate it, but I wanted to give it a fair shake….after all, there was a LOT of hype. I’ll admit, my experience with Lipsense wasn’t all sunshine and roses but it’s a REALLY unique product that I like a lot! Here’s my list of Lipsense pros and cons that can hopefully help you decide if Lipsense is right for you!
- Lots of color choices! There aren’t a ton of “alternative” colors (I think Blackberry is the only one), but if you’re into more “everyday” shades, they have tons of options.
- The product is comfortable to wear. You will probably have to reapply the gloss throughout the day but it’s definitely not as drying as other liquid lipsticks (especially long wearing ones).
- It really does last. I tried Lipsense several times and for me, it lasted 10+ hours without a reapplication. That was even through an intense workout! I wore it on Thanksgiving and it made it through Thanksgiving dinner easy – I didn’t even have to reapply before family photos!
- The formula is thin! Even though you have to apply three layers of color it doesn’t feel sticky on your lips. Below is a photo of the wand straight out of the tube – that small amount of product will easily cover your entire lip.
- You can fix mistakes! The Oops Color Remover makes it easy to clean up lines if you go outside your normal lip line. Sometimes I get a little overzealous and it’s nice to have something that makes it easy to fix that.
- When you first apply it, the smell is BAD. It has a very strong chemical smell that (thank goodness) goes away after just a few seconds so don’t be too alarmed.
- If your lips are wrinkly (like mine) the color will settle into the wrinkles of your lips quickly. For me, this was the biggest con. My top lip looked perfect (even after so many hours and a workout) but within about an hour you could see lines on my bottom lip. If your lips aren’t as wrinkly, you won’t have this issue!
- It’s VERY difficult to remove. I guess this is kind of a pro too, but when you want to go to bed it’s definitely a con lol. I tried plain lip gloss, a few different oils, micellar water, and just rubbing it off (ouch)…even the Oops Color Remover (sold by the maker of Lipsense) didn’t work for me! I had much better luck with glycerin based soap (like a Neutrogena bar) or a makeup wipe.
Other things worth noting:
- It seems like a lot of steps to apply, but honestly it’s very quick. You can have it done within 2-3 minutes, which isn’t much longer than it takes to apply a normal liquid lipstick.
- This is a GREAT product for times when you need something to last all day, even if you’re eating!
Here’s a photo where you can see how it wore on me with timestamps. Sorry I’m so red in the last photo – it was right after a workout!
All in all, Lipsense is a pretty amazing product. I love that they’re revolutionizing lippies…I know I’ve never used a product that works like this. I don’t think it’s something I would want to wear every single day, but I love that I have a product that I KNOW can get me through a long event, even if I’m eating, sweating, drinking or talking to people for hours! I think everyone could use at least one Lipsense kit for events like weddings, office parties and any occasion where you’re going to be eating a lot and you want your lips to look flawless! It’s so nice to not have to worry about reapplying, lipstick on your teeth or smudges.
If you want to try Lipsense for yourself, reach out to Shawnee! She can get you all hooked up and she’s a super sweet gal. I know she’s also looking for people to join her team so if you’re interested in being a Lipsense distributor, reach out to her!