This post isn’t sponsored but does contain a handful of affiliate links. If you click and/or purchase anything using one of those links, I receive a few cents back. Thanks for helping keep this blog running – you are SO appreciated.
It’s funny how having a fashion blog can make you humble (stop laughing.) A few months ago, I had a post drafted out with trends that I would never wear. I decided not to post it because, even though it was just my opinion, I didn’t want to make anyone feel bad about themselves and sometimes those posts come across mean.
So yeah, one of the things on that list….? Camo. I have lived in Texas my whole life and I went to Texas A&M University so for me, camo has always been a no-go. Except for that camo Babe’s Chicken hat I used to wear. *shudder*
Lately though, it’s been growing on me. VERY slowly. It’s been “back” for quite a while and even though I hated the trend at first, within the last month or so I’ve really been wanting a piece of my own. I knew camo pants were not for me so I was leaning towards a jacket. It would work as a nice third piece for all seasons (except Summer) and I knew it would be easy to style. So when I was making one of my giant Boohoo orders, I caved and bought this camo jacket.
Now let me say, this jacket is definitely not as easy to style as some pieces. I can’t throw it on with jeans and a t shirt like I would with a black bomber jacket or a denim jacket. For me, you have to really plan out the outfit so you don’t fall into “Does she listen to country music?” territory. No shade to country music, but, you know what I mean.
So I’ve come up with a list of guidelines for you (really for myself) for how to style camo pieces. Of course these are not hard and fast rules but if you’re lost and want to jump on the trend bandwagon late in the game like me, here’s what to do (and what not to do).
- Don’t pair your camo with denim. It can look country, fast, even if you’re wearing stylish skinny jeans and heels. I know some people will disagree with me on this, but I stand by my opinion.
- Do keep your silhouettes sleek. If you’re wearing a camo jacket, wear skinny jeans and not boyfriend jeans. If you’re wearing camo pants, make sure they’re fitted.
- Don’t mix more than one camo. Just don’t. Also stay away from olive + camo.
- Do wear cute accessories. Honestly I could’ve accessorized this look a bit more but since this is a lace up bodysuit, I kept it fairly simple. If I was wearing a plain shirt I definitely would’ve added a statement necklace.
- Do play on the masculine edge and mix it with feminine pieces. Heels, sparkles, anything feminine looks great with camo. It’s all about balance.
- Don’t go too crazy with pattern mixing. Honestly stripes are the only thing that I think will pair with camo easily. Floral, polka dots, plaids and (especially) animal prints would be much trickier.
- Do wear all black if you can’t find anything else. This is exactly what I did – I was having one of those “I hate all my clothes and nothing fits” days, so I threw on all black and called it done.
So I guess I like camo now? I’m not going to go crazy and buy a bunch of pieces or anything, but I like having this one jacket in my closet.
- What trend have you changed your mind about?
- Are you team camo? Yay or nay?