Disclaimer: I was gifted a watch by Thirteen.02 for the purpose of this post, but as always, all opinions are my own.
Bodysuit: Charlotte Russe ($3.99; similar here) | Jeans: Shopbop (gifted; exact here on HUGE sale) | Jacket: Boohoo ($31; exact here; similar available in more sizes) | Watch: Thirteen.02 (gifted; available here) | Belt: Boohoo (very similar here) | Shoes: Buffalo Exchange (very similar here)
I work from home so…75% of the time I am a disgusting mess. I don’t really care, I’m not ashamed. I shower at night after I workout so when I wake up in the morning, I open my laptop and start working. Whatever I wore to sleep in is that day’s work attire. It’s not glamorous, but it’s the truth. The problem is, sometimes my sweet husband wants to go grab lunch or go do something right after work. Now I’m not above going out somewhere in sweatpants, but if I’m going on a date with my husband, I don’t want to feel like the hot mess that I am! Instead of throwing on some tights and walking out the door, here are 6 things I do when I need to look pulled together FAST but I look like a hot mess.
1. Do something with your hair – My hair is SO GROSS in these photos, y’all don’t even want to know. As my roots grow out, my hair gets a lot greasier since they’re not bleached. But then the rest of my hair is still just as dry as ever so I can’t go too crazy with dry shampoo. If you have bleached hair, you know the struggle. Instead of leaving it down, I put it into a top bun so it looks like I tried a little harder than I did. Let’s be honest, most 20 and 30 something year old women know a top bun is a sign of laziness but shhhh, let’s keep that to ourselves!
2. Add a bold lip – A bold lip is an easy way to scream “Hey, I tried today!” and it takes like 30 seconds. I love a classic red lip because it’s bold but won’t draw any unwanted attention. If you go for a purple or blue, you might get more second glances than you want – we’re hot messes today, you don’t want anyone looking too closely!
3. Don’t just wear a tshirt – I touched on this before, but my go-to look lately is a bodysuit paired with jeans. It looks a little more pulled together than just jeans and a tshirt. And when I say tshirt, I mean like a concert tee or something you got for free at a blood drive. If you don’t have a bodysuit, a plain tee will also work – like a tee you would get at H&M or the Gap….again, not a free tshirt from that 5K you did that one time. Here I’m wearing a velvet bodysuit I snagged at Charlotte Russe for $3.99 – that’s not a typo! Four bucks!
4. Wear sunglasses (if possible) – This is an easy one, but covering your eyes is the most foolproof way to cover up bags, dark circles, or whatever you’ve got going on under there. They make you look cute and accessorized and they make me feel like Mariah Carey in the best way possible. (My favorite part of her E special was when she called herself “so 90s” because she wouldn’t take off her sunglasses inside because the lighting was bad….truly iconic.)
5. Accessorize! – I promise you this, accessories make an outfit look pulled together. Period. It doesn’t matter what you’re wearing, adding a few accessories instantly elevates your look and makes it look like you tried harder than you really did. For this particular look, I grabbed a belt, a jacket to tie around my waist, and (most importantly) a classic watch. I’m currently LOVING this watch from Thirteen.02! They’re based in Dallas, the company founders are women (girl power!), the watches are named after iconic Dallas (and Fort Worth!) locations, annnnnd you can switch out the bands. Right now I’m obsessed with the West Village Watch and the Midnight Blue Shimmer Band, but I also got a Black Band if I want to switch it out and be really classic. Hopefully I can trick people into thinking I’m sophisticated when I wear a watch.
6. Spritz on some perfume – Even if you didn’t shower that morning (we’ve all been there), perfume is another easy way to say “I tried!” You go in to hug someone and BAM they get that signature scent! They will probably compliment you on how great you smell when, let’s be honest, you probably didn’t put on deodorant that morning.
Next time you’re in a rush, take my advice! Any or all of these six tips will help you feel more pulled together and ready to tackle the day…even if you did have to skip a shower!
- How do you feel more “pulled together” when you’re totally not?
- Do you have a watch you love to wear?