This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
ghd Styler c/o ghd to use for this tutorial, but of course all opinions are my own.
Bless the fact that messy hair has been “in” for a while….can I get an amen?! Growing up in the era of stick straight hair, I’m soooo glad that’s not the only “acceptable” hairdo these days. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good sleek mane on other people but my hair doesn’t like to stay straight and it just doesn’t work that well for me. Waves are more flattering for my face and just easier to deal with.
I’ve been working on my wavy mane for quite some time and now that I have a little more length, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to share my techniques with you guys! This is the same technique I used when my hair was much shorter, and of course it will work for long hair too! The whole thing took me less than eight minutes to complete.
Here’s what you need to create this look
- a heat protectant – I use the Redken Iron Shape 11
- a flat iron (with 1-1.5″ plates) – mine is the ghd Platinum White Styler, which is easily the best flat iron I’ve ever used, y’all. It’s SO nice and my hair seriously glides through it effortlessly. It also heats up really quickly and shuts off automatically after 30 mins of idle time!
- other styling products for added volume – I used the GOT 2B Powderful Volumizing Styling Powder, Not Your Mother’s Texture Spray and Not Your Mother’s Sea Salt Spray.
One thing I forgot to mention in the video is I started out with air dried “wavy” hair. I find that my hair waves the best when I let it air dry, that way I can just play off my natural texture. Click the video below to see the whole process from start to finish!
- What’s your go-to hair style?
- Have you ever tried creating waves with a flat iron?
PS If you love this tutorial, don’t forget to share the love by pinning it!