Over the last year or two, I’ve made the switch to mostly cruelty free cosmetics and beauty products. It’s not always easy and sometimes I mess up (hair products are especially tough for me) but I really think with makeup there’s no reason to support brands that do animal testing.
Keep in mind, a LOT of brands aren’t cruelty free because they sell in China where you’re required to do animal testing. So a lot of companies only do animal testing there. If you’re okay with that, that’s your prerogative! No judgment here!
You can easily find out if your favorite brands (of cosmetics and just about everything else) are cruelty free by checking this database. You’ll find that some companies aren’t on there, if they’re not just google it and you can usually find an answer pretty easily.
This list is NOT all inclusive by any means, these are just a few of my favorites! Do your research and make the best decision for you. 🙂
Drugstore Cosmetics Companies (my fave, duh)
- NYX Cosmetics – I could probably wear ONLY NYX products from now on and be just happy. Seriously, their stuff is pretty amazing with very few misses. The Doll Eye Mascara is the best cruelty free mascara I’ve used BY FAR. Click here for my list of “must have” NYX products or here for a review and demo of my (current) favorite NYX lippie.
- elf Cosmetics – Another drugstore favorite, elf has tons of awesome products at a ridiculously low price point. Their eyeshadow is easily my favorite drugstore brand and their shadow lock eye primer is something I use daily and keep buying over and over again. Click here for an elf Cosmetics haul or here for a getting ready with me video featuring almost all elf products.
- Milani – I actually don’t use a ton of Milani, but I’m including it because I DO know they have a wide range of skin tone options (yay!) I’ve tried some of their blushes and bronzers though and they’re top notch.
- Wet N Wild – The perfect brand when you wanna try out a trend and also spend like $2. Now you can look back at your elementary/middle school self and know that all that money you spent on makeup was cruelty free! Seriously though, they have some fun products. Their shadows are great (just don’t forget to wear a primer for max pigmentation), meanwhile the lipsticks are hit or miss. But at like $2/tube it’s worth the gamble.
Online Only and High End Cosmetics Companies:
- Colourpop Cosmetics – This is a new one for me, but let me tell you it was love at first sight! Their Ultra Matte liquid lipsticks are some of the best I’ve ever used and their Lippie Stix are my favorite winter lipstick. It’s a nice matte formula that’s still a tad creamy so it won’t dry you out. Oh and did I mention their lip products are $6 or less? You’re welcome.
- OCC Cosmetics – Best known for their revolutionary Lip Tars, OCC is no joke y’all. They’re cruelty free and vegan! They’ve got a bunch of lip tars for $6 right now (that’s 1/3 of the normal price) so if you’ve never tried them out, the time is now! Click here for the lip tars you’re looking for.
- Anastasia Beverly Hills – I’m pretty sure you know about Anastasia’s brow products but just in case….they’re basically top of the class every time. I’ve tried so many other brands and their Dipbrow Pomade just can’t be beat. The Brow Wiz is next up on my list to try, just waiting for my next Ulta coupon that I can apply to their products.
Wearing Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade and Colourpop Cosmetics Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick. View the full look here.
- Real Techniques – This is the only brand I’m including because it’s the only one you need to know. Seriously, y’all I love love love these brushes and they’re pretty affordable. If you’re patient, they go on sale at Ulta quite often, plus you can combine that price with a coupon! Update: these are buy one get one FREE at Ulta right now! BUY ALL THE BRUSHES!
- Bath and Body Works – Let’s be honest, I’ll always love Bath and Body Works and I use their body wash daily. Right now is their semi annual sale so it’s the perfect time to stock up! I just bought like ten hand soaps last week for less than $30. Just promise me you’ll never pay full price on anything and you’ll always Google a coupon before you buy anything, okay?
- Lush – Despite my ethical issues with this particular publicity stunt, I have started using Lush products and they’ve really improved my skin. I also love that I can look at the tubs and know exactly what’s in them. They’re definitely not cheap but if you have insanely sensitive skin like me, it’s not a bad bet. Their bath bombs are suuuuper popular but I have yet to try them out (am I even a blogger if I’ve never used a Lush bath bomb?)
- Dr Bronner’s Magic Soaps – You know that hot sauce commercial where that old lady says “I put that s*** on everything?” That’s me with this stuff. In addition to using it as a body wash, (it’s PERFECT for travel because my husband and I can both use it and you don’t need a loofa or washcloth), here are some of the MANY things I’ve used it for – toilet cleaner, bathtub cleaner, floor cleaner, spot cleaning stains, hand soap and shampoo.
Any cruelty free brands that you love? What cruelty free products are your favorites?