This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
Now that I’ve moved out of Texas, I’m quickly being reminded that other parts of the country actually have SEASONS! Previously I kind of had two wardrobes – hot weather and cold weather…there really wasn’t much in between. Definitely not worth building a wardrobe around. Welp, things have changed so now you’re going to be seeing a lot more fall content from me as I actually learn how to dress myself for fall!
Today is all about fall transition. In classic Valery style, I bought this VERY summery bodysuit on clearance right at the end of summer. Normally I would style it with shorts and some heeled sandals but it’s already getting a bit too chilly for that. After a bit of trial and error, I ended up with a fall outfit I LOVE! It just took a few quick switches to make this summer bodysuit into a full on fall-look. Here are five ways you can transition a summer look into a killer fall outfit, you can use one of these tips or all five at once! Whatever suits your fancy.
- Add a hat! Felt hats (especially in black, brown or jewel tones) just scream “fall” in my opinion! They’re also a great way to cover up a bad hair day and they automatically give you that “cool girl” effect. When in doubt, add a hat.
- Go dark with your makeup! Honestly, I wear dark makeup year round, but for a lot of people dark eye makeup or lipstick go hand in hand with cooler temperatures. I opted for a really dark and warm eye (hello Naked Heat palette) and paired it with a dark brown (cool toned) matte lipstick. Even for me, this makeup look felt really seasonally appropriate for fall.
- Add a lightweight cardigan/jacket! This one is kind of a “duh” but adding a lightweight jacket or cardigan is a great way to give the illusion of fall weather. This one really came in handy for me in Texas when I wanted to dress for the season but it was still a thousand degrees. I especially love a duster for this time of year, the longer length just feels….right. More duster outfits here and here, if you’re into that.
- Throw on some tights! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – fishnets are in and they are FUN! Adding tights under your shorts are an easy way to make things more seasonally appropriate with making yourself too hot. Fishnets are perfect for this because they’re so breathable.
- Swap your sandals for booties! Booties are THE ultimate fall shoe, so throwing on a pair of booties instantly gives your outfit a bit of autumn action.
That’s it! You can use anywhere from one to all five of these tips to help transition your summer look into one that feels more “fall-ish.”
- Do you live in a place with actual “fall weather?”
- How do you transition your summer pieces to fall? Anything I forgot?