Top: Forever 21 (available here! Fit is a tad smaller than unisex tees, I’m wearing a Medium) | Shorts: American Eagle (similar styles here – I love the midi length!) | Boots: Boohoo (available here and under $50!) | Hat: Forever 21 (similar here) | Ring: Thrifted
Photos by Taylor Gardner of Dallastyle
When lace up tops and bodysuits first came out, my first thought was “those are cute, but what the heck do you wear under them?!”
Before we got any further, we need to talk about the fact that I’m wearing a Space Jam shirt and an Nsync ring in these photos. Please discuss.
Okay now that we’re done with that, here’s a roundup of your different bra options for lace up tops and bralettes. To me, there’s a CLEAR winner but you might feel differently! Here are your choices, in no particular order except I saved the best for last.
- Bralette – Definitely the most visible option (you’re for SURE going to see it, no matter what style lace up you’re wearing), but also the most modest. If you’re looking for a good amount of coverage without any stress, this will be your jam. I wore a thick black bralette with my Space Jam top to a kids birthday party – it automatically made it more “family friendly” plus I know I wouldn’t have to worry about things falling down or whether or not I could bend over and play with kids.
- Going braless – The cons here are pretty obvious but if it’s a tight bodysuit, you are more likely to get away with going braless without having anything spilling out.
- Wear a normal bra – Obviously the pro is you’re going to get your normal amount of support but it’s also going to be totally visible. This isn’t my look of choice but I’ve seen people rock it! If you’re more well endowed than me, this might be a good option for you!
- Petals – These are literally just stickers, and honestly I don’t think they do much. You can usually see them through the fabric and sometimes I think you’re better off not wearing anything. This is probably the most popular choice but, in my opinion, not the best one.
- Sticky bras – This, my friends, is hands down the best option. I have had this sticky bra from Target for almost five years now and it still works (but will probably need to be replaced soon). The trick to wearing this bra with lace up tops is to attach the cups backwards, so the points are going towards your sides, instead of facing each other and clasping. Hopefully that makes sense. Other benefits of this bra type over the other include: more coverage in case of wardrobe malfunctions, a tiny bit of padding and you never have to worry about being cold, if ya know what I mean. Win-win-win-win situation!
Is anyone else as obsessed with these lace up tshirts as I am? It has been really hard to not buy like twenty of them! I procrastinated on this Space Jam top so I’m REALLY happy it was still available when I was finally ready to pull the trigger.
- What do you like to wear under lace up tops/bodysuits?
- Have you ever tried a sticky bra? Would you?