Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links. Affiliate links mean if you click or make a purchase, I get a few cents back. Thanks for your support and for making this blog possible!
I was born in 1989 so I was pretty young during the 90s, but I am a 90s girl through and through. I’m not sure how it happened because I think a lot of people my age identify with the 2000s more (and don’t get me wrong, I love a lot of 00s stuff too!) but I just freaking love the 90s! My older sister is 6 years older than me, so I’m sure that had a lot to do with it. I was totally fascinated by the things she liked, and I got all of her super 90s hand me downs (My Little Ponys, clothes that weren’t cool anymore, etc). I also always loved teen culture and even as a kid, I read every teen magazine I could get my hands on.
All that being said – I am just so thrilled that 90s fashion is back (and has been for a while). When I started styling my overalls, my original plan was to make it as “non 90s” as possible, but I tried on shirt after shirt and they just weren’t doing it for me. I ended up with a bodysuit and the look quickly morphed into what I like to call “modern 90s.” Everything I’m wearing head to toe is 90s inspired, but at first glance I don’t think the outfit screams “90s.” Let’s break it down from top to bottom.
- Tattoo choker – An iconic accessory from the 90s – seriously, you KNOW you had at least one. This cheap little guy is a go-to for me! I love throwing it on, even when I’m just wearing a tshirt. I’m sure eventually I’ll laugh at myself for wearing this choker but for now, I love it!
- Lipstick – Although this is a tad more grey than most 90s shades, a brown lip is definitely a 90s beauty trend that I’m happy to see in 2017 (and ’16 and hopefully ’18 too). This one is a personal favorite, NYX Matte in Minx. This is a great formula because it’s not too drying and you can layer chapstick under it without sacrificing staying power.
- Bodysuit – These definitely had their moment in the 90s and they’re totally having a moment again now! Bodysuits are shockingly comfortable and versatile. You can see me wear one here, here, here, here and here.
- Overalls – Duhhhh every 90s girl had at least one pair of overalls! Most modern overalls are more fitted like the ones I’m wearing (although I’m dying for a pair that has a boyfriend cut). These definitely accentuate my love handles because they’re low waisted but I’m okay with it. This time around, I paired them with a bodysuit because it kind of “sucks me in” – during the fall, I would probably also tie a flannel shirt around my waist.
- Combat boots – These heeled combat boots are one of my favorite pairs of shoes and they’ve kind of been hiding from me for a bit. I forgot all about them! Really glad to dust them off especially as part of this 90s inspired look. Of course we all know Doc Martens were THE boot in the 90s but I’m too cheap to buy some now lol. These were purchased secondhand at Clothes Mentor for less than $20 and they were in perfect condition.
- Polly Pocket Purse – I SAID POLLY POCKET PURSE! When I saw this purse online, I signed up to be notified when it was in stock right away. Yes, it’s probably too expensive for a novelty purse but honestly it was worth every penny. Polly Pockets were my LIFE as a kid – today’s kids will never understand the pain of stepping on a Polly Pocket! It’s sold out for now, but you can sign up here to get notified when they are back in stock.
- Spice World pin – This pin is kind of an obscure reference from Spice World but, of course, being the Spice Girls crazy fan that I am, I knew what it was right away. In case you need a refresher, check out this clip. Also this amazing pin is from Kate Gabrielle and is available here.
So there you have it, 90s girls! You can definitely channel your inner 90s self without going all out (or if you’re like me….go all out!) Don’t be afraid of the 90s trend, whether you lived through it the first time or not. Even if you don’t like full-on-90s, you can still put a modern spin on the iconic 90s trends.
- What’s your favorite 90s comeback trend?
- Have you ever spent money on something as ridiculous as a Polly Pocket purse? Please tell me and make me feel better lol.