This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
Throughout high school and college I didn’t really have any personal style – I wasn’t sure what I liked and I kind of just bought whatever I saw that I kind of liked. And of course wore a LOT of t shirts and jeans. Over the last few years, I’ve started to really hone in on who I am and what I want to say about myself with the clothes I wear. The things you put on every day say a lot about you, and for better or for worse your clothes are usually the first impression people have about you.
I firmly believe that a big part of loving what’s in your closet is finding your personal style. When my closet was just a hodge podge of things I bought on sale or outfits I saw on Pinterest, I just wasn’t happy. My outfits didn’t reflect me at all! After months and months of (sorry for sounding dramatic) soul searching, I have finally nailed down my personal style.
I like to call my style eclectic edge. I’m inspired by mixing the feminine and masculine, hard and soft to create interesting but still (sometimes) pretty outfits. My style icons are Joan Holloway (from Mad Men), David Bowie and Saved by the Bell dream girl Kelly Kapowski. Joan for her curve hugging ensembles, David Bowie for his love of shine, spandex and his complete disregard for sticking with gender norms, and Kelly Kapowski because she’s the quintessential 90s girl. Thankfully I gravitate towards fast fashion and vintage pieces so it’s easy to find what I like without breaking the bank, while mixing in some investment pieces.
Now, it’s time to nail down YOUR personal style! Now this isn’t a quiz that’s going to say you’re “preppy” or “bohemian” because, let’s be honest, most of us don’t fit perfectly into those little boxes. These 10 steps will guide you and walk you through the process of what to do after you’ve figured out your personal style. Read through or scroll to the bottom and nab a printable version that you can work through!
1. What kind of person do you want to be viewed as? Clothing is how you present yourself to the world so ask yourself how you want to be viewed. Write down 3 words you want people to think of when they see you. (Ex: fun, classy, flirty, feminine, androgynous, professional)
2. What’s your favorite thing in your closet to wear right now? What do you love about it? (Hint: if you’re having trouble, go through your Instagram or some of your Facebook profile pictures for a refresher!)
3. What celebrity would you like to switch closets with? What do you love about the way he or she dresses?
4. What colors and patterns are you drawn to? Not just when it comes to clothes, in home decor, photography, etc.
5. Go to your closet – what have your most recent purchases been? Anything you have in your online shopping carts right now?
6. Who are your style icons? This can be anyone – past, present, fictional characters….anyone! This isn’t the same as someone you would switch closets with, your style icons are people you draw inspiration from, not necessarily people you want to dress JUST like.
7. Go to Pinterest, create a “Secret Board.” Now click on “Men’s fashion” or “Women’s fashion” (whichever you identify with the most) and set a timer for ten minutes. Go through and pin as MUCH as you can. Only pin things that stick out to you, but don’t think about it too much. Now come back here and write what you see. Any particular colors, styles, patterns?
Got an outfit post to share? Link it up below!!! Here’s what to do:
1. Subscribe to my newsletter and/or follow me on social media! (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest)
2. Link up a favorite outfit post from your blog! If it is made of threads, it works for Thursday Threads!
3. Visit some other blogs from the link up!