This post has been sponsored by Lunchbox. Per usual, all opinions are mine alone.
Typically we think of winter as the worst season for your hair because winter leads to dry skin but I find that spring and summer can be the worst culprit for my hair! Because I bleach my hair, I’m always perfecting my moisturizing routine to keep it healthy, especially during the spring and summer. Here are 5 ways easy to keep your hair moisturized during the hot, hot summer!
- Always always ALWAYS use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I shampoo my hair and it feels like straw after….you know what I’m talking about. The absolute worst. My new favorite way to avoid that? The Dove Nutritive Solutions line. These awesome products work over time to make your hair more soft, smooth and beautiful. I chose the Intensive Repair Therapy Shampoo and the Daily Moisture Conditioner. I know, it’s kind of weird that I chose two different types but I have my reasons! I always want the max level of moisturizing with my shampoo, because like I said earlier, I HATE when my hair feels dry and damaged after shampooing. As for conditioner, I like a conditioner that’s more for daily moisture because I always follow up with a ton of moisturizing products before I style it. Here’s how the Dove Daily Moisture Conditioner and Intensive Repair Shampoo stack up!
- Scent – I find that Dove products have a very classic scent that I personally love! I always recognize a Dove product by the scent, and the Daily Moisture Conditioner falls into that category for sure. The Intensive Repair Therapy Shampoo has more of a coconut scent, if that’s more of your kind of thing. Both are lovely and I’m a huge fan of hair products that you can still smell after you get out of the shower, and these definitely fit the bill.
- Residue – Despite being VERY moisturizing, these products left no residue in my hair. Even several days later, I don’t have any buildup like I normally do, which is pretty amazing.
- Value – Dove products really can’t be beat on the quality, especially for the price. I love that I don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a product that’s really going to nourish my hair. A little goes a long way (and this is coming from someone with a lot of hair) so it really is a good bang for your buck. Holla!
- Latherability – Yeah, I made that word up. Let’s be honest, we all love a good lather in our hair products and the Dove Intensive Repair Shampoo does not disappoint.
- Availability – You can get the Dove Nutritive Solutions line just about anywhere – I love to grab a few bottles when I go to my local Walmart. I already know where to find it, plus I know that I’m getting the best deal! Walmart is definitely my go-to spot for these Dove products!
- Keep heat tool use to a minimum. I’m VERY guilty of overusing heat, but even cutting back a little can make a huge difference. Now I almost always let my hair air dry and then just touch it up with a flat iron (instead of blow drying it with hot air and then following up with a flat iron all over). If you just can’t say no to the blow dryer, use the cool setting! Every little bit helps!
- Baby your hair with regular hair masque. Full disclosure: this is one I should do more often. Really, once a week is ideal. You can use coconut oil or grapeseed oil as an overnight masque or even just let conditioner sit in your hair for as long as you can handle. If you’re feeling really adventurous, warm up a towel in the microwave, apply a masque to your hair and then wrap the hot towel around your hair. It’s an at-home hot oil treatment! No matter what you do, letting that moisture soak in for an extended period of time will really help repair some of the damage you’ve done.
- Regularly use oils in your hair. In addition to masques, you can also use oil sparingly (just not on the roots). After styling, I like to rub a bit of oil in my palms and grab pieces of hair mid way to the ends. Again – stay away from the roots! Argan oil tends to be my favorite for this purpose.
- Protect your hair from the sun. Just like your skin, your hair can be damaged by the sun too! It’s easy to forget, I know. When you can, throw on a hat, bandana or scarf to protect your hair from those harmful UV rays – especially if you’re going to be outside for a long time. Plus, if you have color treated hair this will help keep your color from fading! Double win.
If you haven’t already, be sure to try out the Dove Nutritive Solutions line! I’ve been a big fan of Dove hair products since they first launched back in 2002 (does that make anyone else feel old?!) and these certainly do not disappoint. When you pick yours up, don’t forget to post a mini review and use the hashtag #BeautyIs and #WMNutritiveSolutions…oh and make sure to tag me so I can see what you think!
How do you take care of your hair in the warm weather to make sure it doesn’t get too dry? Share your favorite tips below!