This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MajorBeauty #MajorSteals #CollectiveBias
I’m already starting to see back to school stuff everywhere (sorry students and teachers, it’s almost that time) and it has me reminiscing on all my years of heading back to college. I kind of can’t believe this year marks FOUR years since I graduated….sheesh. I went to school at Texas A&M University in College Station, so going back to college for me always meant heading back into the extreme heat and humidity.
I know what you’re thinking, “Valery, you live in Dallas. It’s hot there.” True. But not like College Station. The heat and humidity there makes it nearly impossible to not look oily and sticky, especially when you’re walking 20 minutes across a huge campus to get from one class to another. Well, never fear, because I have a solution to fight the shine AND keep your makeup in place. Whether you’re a college student heading back to school or a busy mom on the go, these tips will last you all the way through fall.
Don’t miss the sweepstakes at the bottom of the post – you could win a $50 Target gift card!
1. Cleanse! Of course, you want to wash your face with the best thing for your skin. For me, that means a mild cleanser that gets rid of dirt and oil but won’t dry me out.
2. Moisturize! Yes, you need to be moisturizing, even if you get oily in the summer. The key is using the right moisturizer and after YEARS of searching I finally found the right one for me – Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel. Seriously, this is my fourth tub of this moisturizer. It gets rid of the dry patches on my cheeks but doesn’t make me oily in my t-zone. A real treasure. Plus, if you need SPF protection they have one for that too!
- Foundation – applied with a Beautyblender
- Brows – used a pomade and applied with an angled eyeliner brush
- Eyeshadow (Urban Decay x Gwen Stefani palette) – Stark all over the lid and then Zone in the crease; then I applied Punk with a fluffy shadow in the outer corner up to the crease and the inner corner up to the crease, leaving the middle of my lid lighter; then patted 1987 in the center of the lid and softly blended it with a fluffy eyeshadow brush. Applied Punk along the bottom lid as well (where you would typically put eyeliner)
- Eyeliner – tight lined the upper and lower waterlines with a black gel liner
- Powder – set foundation with a translucent powder (I used my Beautyblender for this too!) This is one of my favorite techniques, you just tap the beauty blender into your powder and pat it onto your face.
- Mascara – this one’s pretty self explanatory 🙂 since it was a dramatic look I really piled on the mascara
- Lips – wore a maroon lipstick as an homage to my alma mater
4. Finishing Spray! This is a MUST if you’re wearing makeup in the summer – seriously, it’s a game changer and will keep everything from melting off. There are tons available now, so just choose the one you like the best.
5. Blotting Sheets! Even if you follow all these steps, you might still start to see some shine throughout the day. Keeping some blotting sheets handy is key! I like to use the Oil Absorbing Sheets from Clean & Clear. They’ll help remove the oil from your face without compromising all the hard work you put into your makeup. Make SURE to put these sheets in your purse and thank me later.
I already know you’re going to be heading to Target soon, so make sure to grab your favorite back-to-college skincare and cosmetic must-haves to get your beauty routine ready for the new school year! And good news – from July-August 2016, buy any one participating Neutrogena® facial, Neutrogena® cosmetic or Clean & Clear® facial product and get one 25% off! That definitely deserves an in-store “Gig em” from this Aggie.
What products do you use to keep your summer face in tact? Anyone else loving these Neutrogena® and Clean & Clear® products?