This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click and/or make a purchase, I may earn a few cents at no additional cost to you. Any products gifted by a brand will be marked "c/o." Thanks for helping make this blog possible! <3
The other night I was blogging and opened Netflix, like I do so often. What do I see at the top of the screen? Backstreet Boys: Show Em What You’re Made Of…I HAD to watch it. Of course I’m a 90s girl so I would’ve watched it anyway, but I was especially interested because I saw a trailer for it when I saw them in concert in 2013. Yes, I went to their concert. Granted, my tickets were free but I was on the first row behind the pit and to be perfectly honest it was SO dang fun. The dudes are still committed and pretty great, I have to give credit where credit’s due. (Even though Nsync will always be better). Here are 39 thoughts I had while watching the documentary – minor spoilers ahead, but not really because no one dies.
- Nick looks scary
- AJ is still the hottest + he has a Drive jacket so…bonus points.
- Oh yeah, they play instruments!
- At least they admit they were manufactured, instead of pretending like they were just 5 pals who could sing and dance.
- How did we (as humans) not know that Lou Pearlman was a creeper…? Are they going to talk about that?!
- When BSB came out, they legitimately looked like CK models, I’ll give them that.
- Nick was eleven when they started. ELEVEN. They must have hated him.
- Kevin should be Jack Skellington for Halloween.
- Hearing any boybander curse is still weird to me.
- What’s wrong with Brian?! Now I feel bad for making fun of him for being SO weird at the concert. (But really, he was SO weird.)
- Oh lord, Lou’s house was really cool. Pool tables, hot room, coke machines. “Best damn tasting coke you’ve had in your life” because it was probably drugged!!!!!
- They watched porn at Lou’s house. I REPEAT they watched porn at Lou’s house!!!!!
- This stuff about Kevin’s dad is heavy. Did NOT expect this to be so sad.
- They’re talking about doing a show in an inner city high school before they were famous….scared about where this is going.
- Hahahaha their PA went out at the inner city high school
- When Kevin was 21, Nick was 13.
- How can I get my hands on one of those original BSB shirts that was clearly just an iron-on transfer?
- Lol at old footage where Nick tries to tell the other boys what to do. They totally hated him.
- Nick definitely has fake teeth. I’m 100% sure of it.
- A lot of bad hats are happening in this movie. I’m looking at you Brian, Nick and Kevin. AJ looks great in all hats so I’ll give him a pass.
- Oh man, white people clapping. White people clapping is my favorite and also least favorite thing.
- Lou Pearlman definitely came up with the idea for the “Quit Playing Games” video where they all have on white button down shirts and are drenched.
- Ahhh the “Backstreet’s Back” video with the monsters. YESSSSSS.
- Howie is insisting on being a lead man on the new album…..he said it’s the only way he would agree to do the new record. Okay Howie.
- AJ keeps his nails and toe nails painted all the time. I’m weirded out but also I’m working hard to eliminate gender roles from my life so you just keep doing you, AJ.
- My husband is really concerned that Kevin has two breast pockets + cargo pants. “You should write that that guy has way more pockets than he could ever need.”
- “Lou said ‘come here, I want to show you something’” AHHHH NO. Okay, it’s just an Nsync video.
- Even in a BSB documentary, Nsync makes an appearance.
- Lou Pearlman created Nsync as competition for Backstreet Boys. That’s so messed up.
- Oh heeeeere we go: the sob story about how they toured and did all this stuff but didn’t have the bank account to reflect it. Okay.
- My husband sees Lou Pearlman on the screen “Who’s that? A Pedophile?” Me: “Yep.”
- They’re in Lou’s house in 2014?! What if it’s booby trapped?!
- WAIT. Nick was 17 when Millennium came out?! Why is that so disturbing to me?
- Brian had open heart surgery when they were in their prime and they didn’t cancel or postpone anything for him to recover?! That’s sad.
- Me: “Who do you think was my favorite?” Husband: “The guy with corn rows.” Me: “How did you know?!” Husband: “I don’t know….he looks gross. Just kidding.” (except he was right)
- Brian and Nick are screaming at each other. I bet this happened a lot. Pretty boy vs. the voice.
- Nick’s family drama is for real. This documentary is much heavier than I expected.
- Okay good, everything’s fine and they’re all happy.
- I actually went to this concert. In 2014. I was in the first row behind the pit. lol
Has anyone else seen this documentary? Adding it to your Netflix queue now? Sound off in the comments!